The Tillman Scholar Awards Program is ongoing.
Founded in 2008, the Tillman Scholars program supports the United States active-duty service members, veterans and military spouses by investing in their higher education. Since the inception of the Tillman Scholar awards program, over 400 Tillman Scholars have been named at more than 100 institutions nationwide.
Benefits of the Tillman Scholars Award Program:
The scholarship covers educational expenses, including tuition and fees, books and living expenses. But scholars receive much more than just funding. The program unites the best talent and leadership in the military to make a significant impact in the fields of medicine, law, business, policy, technology, education and the arts.
In addition to educational scholarships, Tillman Scholars receive the following benefits:
- Access to the Tillman Community and leadership opportunities within the network
- Invitation to the annual Pat Tillman Leadership Summit in Chicago, IL
- Entry to the annual Pat’s Run in Tempe, AZ, or Shadow Runs nationwide
- Invitation to premier partner conferences including Inc. 500/5000
- Access to veteran affinity groups and talent acquisition networks at top companies across the U.S.
- Participation in groundbreaking research studies in the veterans and military community
Opportunities to lead and volunteer with veteran partner organizations including Team Rubicon, The Mission Continues, and Team RWB
- Highlights of your stories, studies and service efforts on the Pat Tillman Foundation website and social media
Eligibility Criteria for the Tillman Scholar Awards:
Candidate who may apply to become a Tillman Scholar include:
- Veteran and active-duty military service members
- Honorably discharged of pre-and post-9/11 service
- Candidates From all branches of the U.S. Military including National Guard and Reserve
- Current spouses of veterans or active-duty service members, including surviving spouses
- Service members or spouses pursuing a degree as a full-time* student:
- Undergraduate (Bachelor’s or above)
- Graduate or professional degree
- At a public or private, U.S.-based accredited institution
Tillman Scholar Award Requirements:
Along with your role as an ambassador of the Pat Tillman Foundation, as a Tillman Scholar, you must meet the following expectations:
- Mandatory attendance for selected Tillman Scholars at Pat Tillman Leadership Summit in Chicago in July. All expenses paid.
- Maintain a full-time student status;
- Maintain a high academic standing (3.0 GPA or higher);
- Report to the Pat Tillman Foundation when requested (completing surveys); and
- Meet expectations of high moral character and leadership
- Attend the Pat Tillman Leadership Summit and other Foundation events in your region
- Active engagement in the Tillman Scholar and Pat Tillman Foundation Community
Tillman Scholar Awards Selection Criteria
- Educational and career ambitions
- Record of military service and/or community impact as a military spouse
- Record of personal achievement
- Demonstration of service to others in the community
- Desire to continue to serve others and make a positive impact on your community
- Leadership potential
- Compelling, thoughtful, genuine and thorough essay question responses
How to Apply for the Tillman Scholar Awards Program
The following documents will need to be uploaded in a digital file format:
- Documentation of military service and/or community impact as a military spouse. All discharged service members must provide their most recent DD-214 (please block out your SSN). Active Reservist or National Guard applicants may provide alternate military service verification forms. Note: all submitted military service verification forms will undergo validation.
- Résumé including education, work, public service history, recognitions and awards earned.
- Responses to (2) essay questions exploring the following areas: military and public service motivation and experiences; and educational, career and service ambitions.
- Character recommendation from a third-party
If an applicant progresses, we will request the following additional information at junctures in the selection process: student aid report from FAFSA; (2) photos from military service or with your spouse; institutional financial aid award letter; and completion of a background check. Please download our background check policy here.
All Tillman Scholar applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for funding.
- How to Win the U.S. Presidential Scholar Program 2022 Guide
- 10+ Stanford University Free Online Courses With Certificates
- UCW L.O.V.E. Canada Undergraduate Funding 1
- $5000 President’s Scholarship for World Leaders